Re: " W3C Culture" CG? RE: Problems I'd like to see addressed in Process 2016

On 4/24/15 2:01 PM, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> http://w3.org/Guide .  I don’t think what I have in mind is a CG to
> advise the staff on how to update the Guide.  I was thinking more like
> a CG to crowdsource a "Guide for a Revitalized W3C.   It might:
>
> -  Critically review the  written (in the Guide and Process Document)
> and unwritten W3C policies and cultural norms to identify those that
> really work in practice and those that haven’t aged well or don’t
> align with modern industry and OSS practice.
> - Give open minded consideration to common critiques of W3C culture,
> e.g. our regrettable tendency to “bikeshed all things”
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality>

Given W3Process CG still uses a lot of old skool practices the
consortium should presumably discourage (f.ex. still using Hg rather
than Github, schedule-driven releases, synchronous decision making,
weekly calls, etc.), it seems like a more `progressive` group should be
used or a new one created.

FWIW, I think the above is in scope for the OpenAndTransparent CG ;-).
However, it also seems like all that is needed to bootstrap the above is
to create a new project under github.com/w3c/ (such as
{How-To,Guide,GuidelinesAndBPs, ...}) and then announce the project and
solicit PRs. It's not clear any formal `group` is actually needed.

> - Build a living document advising how to build royalty-free, truly
> interoperable specifications with broad consensus in an efficient way.
>  The document should  clearly distinguishes what is proven best
> practice and what are promising ideas worth trying.

This seems like an objective that could be addressed by the using-github
project [1] (for example see the issue/discussion at [2]). It also seems
like the requirements for a document could be relevant to the
modern-tooling project [3].

-AB

[1] https://github.com/w3c/using-github
[2] https://github.com/w3c/using-github/issues/11