Re: Status of the 12 High Priority Topics considered for Process2014.

On 9/11/2014 12:49 PM, Stephen Zilles wrote:

> ABers,
>
> I have an AB Action Item [1] to review the 12 (of 27 possible [2])
> topics that were prioritized by a survey of the AC, Chairs and Team
> for action during the development of Process 2014. The purpose of the
> review is to determine which of these topics need further
> consideration and should be raised as issues in Tracker of the Process
> Community Group.

Thanks for this thorough review. One small comment in-line.

> Topics
>
> 1.1 . "Integrating implementations into the Process."
> >From an efficiency and testing point-of-view, it is good to obtain
> implementation early in the process and well before the call for
> implementations (Candidate Recommendation). Often implementation of a
> feature exposes further issues which might be beneficially resolved.
> An early implementation might clear these up before the initial Last
> Call and so reduce the potential for multiple loops from Candidate
> Recommendation and back to last Call. Some have proposed that a
> document might be introduced into Last Call in an incremental manner
> with just those portions that have been changed subject to review and
> exclusion.

> development process is design to, "facilitate royalty-free,
> interoperable implementations of Web Standards".  Section 7.2.2 which
> describes what requests for advancing a specification to a new
> maturity level, says a WG, "SHOULD provide information about
> implementations known to the Working Group." This is a (weak)
> encouragement to WGs to begin to develop implementation experience (a
> term which is described in Section 7.2.4). Section 7.4 Candidate
> Recommendation requires that the WG, "MUST document how adequate
> implementation experience will be demonstrated." (This is the earliest
> of the current set of maturity levels at which a reasonable
> requirement on implementations (and here, only a plan for them).)
> Summary, this topic was dealt with in Process 2014. No new issues will
> be raised.
>
> 2."Process document does not match modern development methodologies &
> tools."
> The Process Document was written with stable (a.k.a "dead") documents
> in mind. Modern development approaches are much more incremental in
> nature. Using a "living" document has been proposed as have modular
> and incremental standards development.  Might a document exist at
> several levels of maturity in some combined manner -- perhaps sections
> described as "Recommendation", sections marked "For test
> implementation", others perhaps marked "Experimental"? Might multiple
> versions of the document exist each one at a decreasing certainty of
> stability?

> development methodologies and tools continue to evolve. There is not,
> however, any particular issue to raise in the broad sense.
>
> 3."Can we improve input from 'horizontal' groups (WAI, I18N, ...)"
> Horizontal groups have the difficult task of helping with the
> development of all the specifications being developed within the W3C.
> These groups have expertise that is (often, unfortunately) not well
> represented in the WG developing a particular specification. How can
> the concerns of the 'horizontal' groups best be input into the
> process? Review at Last Call can be too late.

This was actually addressed prior to Process2014 when W3C put into its
guidebook that the Team is obligated to look at horizontal review even
prior to releasing a Charter.

Even though it was addressed, it does not mean that we have fixed
everything.  So I don't object to your raising an issue.