RE: publishing new WD of URL spec

> Do you have citations for where this is listed as part of the requirements for references in W3C specifications?

The W3C normative reference policy is described at  http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references .  It is framed as considerations the Director makes in considering whether a normative reference is appropriate, not as black and white criteria.  The key considerations are:
- Stability – will readers see substantially  the same content over time, at least for the specific features referenced by another spec?
- Licensing – Can implementers and end users be confident that any patented technologies needed to build the Web Platform are offered royalty-free?