Re: w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

On 9/9/14 7:04 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> On 9/8/14 11:54 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> On 9/8/14 9:47 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>>> If the HTML Chairs believe that this document would satisfy the
>>> conditions they can propose to the Director to use the WHATWG document
>>> and explain why it fulfills the normative references policy.
>>
>> Current status:
>>
>> An unversioned snapshot is available here:
>>
>>   http://url.spec.whatwg.org/
>>
>> A versioned snapshot is available here:
>>
>>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/default/Overview.html
>
> The HTMLWG agreed to use the WHATWG URL spec as a normative reference in
> the HTML5 CR. As far as I know (and please correct me if I am wrong),
> that reference resulted in no issues or bugs from implementers and that
> reference resulted in no issues or bugs during the CR's interop testing.
> The Draft HTML5 Proposed Recommendation used during the HTMLG's CfC to
> publish a PR of HTML5 also uses the WHATWG URL spec as a normative
> reference and no related issues were raised during the CfC.
>
> As such, it seems inconsistent with respect to the NRP (as well as
> adding a bunch of "make work") to now assert the WHATWG's URL spec
> cannot be used as a normative reference in the HTML5 PR and REC. Again,
> I think it would be helpful if you would please identify those parts of
> the NRP that disqualify this version of the URL spec from being used in
> the PR and REC.

The key words in the final sentence are "this version of the URL spec".

It would also have been helpful to get a statement of stability from
those that produced the spec.  The original plan was to get that from
the webapps working group via a CfC.

> -Thanks, AB

- Sam Ruby