Re: w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

The considerations that the Director follows in deciding normative
references is found in [1]

[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/09/normative-references

This document was reviewed by the W3C Advisory Committee a year ago.

Other comments in-line.

Jeff

On 9/8/2014 8:18 AM, Revising W3C Process Community Group Issue Tracker
wrote:
> w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

I disagree with Art.  I think it would be a bad policy to blacklist any
particular organization.

> http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/124
>
> Raised by: Arthur Barstow
> On product: Normative Reference Policy
>
> If a group has consensus that an "external reference" (such as a WHATWG spec) meets the group's requirements, then with respect to publishing a Technical, such a reference should be permitted. However, based on my conversations with Consortium staff last week, the Director will NOT permit a Proposed Recommendation to include a normative reference to a WHATWG spec.

This statement is incorrect.  The considerations that the Director uses
is document [1] above.   If there is a normative reference made to a
WHATWG document, it would not be impossible to use that normative
reference as long as the document fulfilled conditions in [1].