Re: Issue-129 Coordination Groups

I remain unconvinced that Coordination Groups need to be specified in the Process Document.  How the Domain Leads, team contacts, and chairs do their jobs and coordinate with each other is a job for W3C management to define, monitor, and adjust.  The other functions mentioned below could be handled by an Interest Group with the same scope as existing Coordination Groups.

> the bits uniquely relevant to Coordination Groups might boil down to just a few sentences,

> and provide the streamlining the Process TF seeks.

The goal is to simplify the actual structure and operation of W3C, not just streamline the document itself.

> the main differences are that CGs do not have specified Deliverables and do not have a fixed Duration
> (at which a renewal is required). There is also a difference in how these categories of Groups are
> terminated. ...
> Some other differences are that participation in a CG seems to be limited ...

A couple of questions:

- What do existing Coordination Groups do that could not be done by an Interest Group with the same scope? (I think the answer is in what it does NOT do, e.g. have specific deliverables, terminate, allow a broader set of participants)

- What harm would come to W3C if what is now a Coordination Group  became an IG with specific deliverables, had to be renewed periodically, and allowed broader participation by interested members?