Re: Disclosing election results -- a voice of caution

On 6/2/2014 6:24 PM, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:

> Forgot to respond to one Brian’s question:
>
> > what sorts of questions would we be able to ask
>
> Assuming we collect more data than we use in the current vote counting
> algorithm, questions might be:
>
> - What percentage of members voted?

98 Members voted which is more than 25% of the Membership. Personally, I
am quite pleased that there was this level of interest.  While not the
90+% that I would have preferred, the 25% is still larger than some
democratic political elections in some locations.  They voted for 355
candidates, an average of 3.6 votes per Member.

> -  What percentage of people voted for the maximum number of candidates?

51 of the 98 voted for 5 candidates.

> How about only 1 candidate?

22 of the 98 voted for 1 candidate.

> - Assuming that voting for one candidate is an indication of strategic
> voting, were there obvious patterns in the voting blocs?  OK that’s
> not a “statistical” question but we could ask the Team whether it was
> obvious to them on what was most similar about the people who voted
> for the same single candidate – Being in the same geographic region?
> Position on a controversial issue?

I don't think that I can provide this information.  Voters have a
reasonable expectation of anonymity.  Providing data about voting
patterns jeapordizes anonymity.

> - What percentage of voters were willing to go to the trouble to rank
> order candidates?  For those that did, would an STV system have
> changed the outcome?  Which STV schemes would have created the most
> diversity (geographical, member size, business type)?

I don't think we have this information.

> - For those who categorized candidates as acceptable / not acceptable,
> what percentage of people listed more acceptable candidates than open
> slots?  Did a majority of voters find all candidates acceptable or
> were they more discriminating?

I don't think that people had the opportunity to categorize in this way.