Re: Invited expert and CG Contributor agreements

> On Dec 19, 2014, at 5:42 , Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
>

> On 12/19/2014 8:00 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> Since it seems like any restriction on derivative work upon an IE's termination could result in reduced (perhaps eliminated) employment opportunities,
>
> I'd be interested in understanding better how this impacts future employment.
>
> Here is my understanding of the current IE agreement.
>
> If an IE does not sign the agreement he has no rights to branch the spec.

He retains complete freedom in his own material (which are not contributions to the w3c, one assumes).

> If an IE signs the agreement he has no rights to branch the spec.

He relinquishes the right to use his own material in other contexts.  That’s a problem for some people.

> So it seems to me that signing the agreement does not reduce any rights.
>
> Jeff

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.