Re: Invited expert and CG Contributor agreements

On 12/19/2014 08:42 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:

> On 12/19/2014 8:00 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> Since it seems like any restriction on derivative work upon an IE's
>> termination could result in reduced (perhaps eliminated) employment
>> opportunities,
>
> I'd be interested in understanding better how this impacts future
> employment.
>
> Here is my understanding of the current IE agreement.
>
> If an IE does not sign the agreement he has no rights to branch the spec.
>
> If an IE signs the agreement he has no rights to branch the spec.
>
> So it seems to me that signing the agreement does not reduce any rights.

I encourage you to explore a different scenario, one in which an
individual authors work and publishes it independently.  That person
subsequently becomes interested in granting to the W3C a perpetual,
nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right to make use of this work.

One way that doing so reduces that individuals rights that I hope we can
all here agree is desirable is that it would make it more difficult for
that individual to subsequently successfully pursue patent litigation
against somebody who complies with the license terms under which the W3C
choses to make it available.  I'm certainly cool with that, both as a
contributor and as a requirement that we need to impose.

Another way that the current Invited Expert agreement constrains their
rights was explained by Michael Champion here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2014Dec/0111.html

I, for one, object to any requirements along those lines.

> Jeff

- Sam Ruby