Re: Invited expert and CG Contributor agreements

On 2014-12-18 13:33, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:

> 19.12.2014, 00:24, "Wayne Carr" <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com>:

>>>   It is a perpetual constraint, per the section on duration and termination:
>>>   [[[
>>>   Even in the event of termination of the Invited Expert relationship sections 2.2, 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6 will persist.
>>>   ]]]
>> I'm surprised about that restriction.  If that's been in the previous
>> public draft versions, I missed it.
> It's been in the agreement since 2007 I believe
>
>> Would W3C Members apply that rule to themselves?
> No, as far as I can tell it doesn't apply to members
>
>>   I doubt it, and it
>> isn't applied to W3C Members, what use is it to apply just to IEs?
> There are many possible answers. It makes it clearer that being a member is better, it makes people take their contributions seriously, …
>
> But…
>
>> It wouldn't be surprising that some feature is useful broadly in
>> multiple contexts.
> Yes.
>
>>   Someone contributing that to W3C should not mean
>> they can't also contribute their own work elsewhere for whatever purpose
>> they choose.
> Maybe, maybe not. Let's see where the consensus is.
>
>>   That paragraph should be removed - soon.   I wouldn't
>> consider agreeing to that as an IE either.
> In my case it would depend on what I thought of and how much I trusted W3C. But there are obviously disadvantages if we're trying to get people to participate.

I was thinking about use in other contexts entirely - so not related to
trusting W3C or not.  Like, there's some algorithm the IE writes up that
is useful in a W3C spec, but also useful in say a Python or Java API
where they are also working (so, not taking anything anyone else
contributed, just their own contribution, and using it elsewhere).