Re: ACTION REQUIRED: Call for Consensus: Proposed Process Change Regarding TAG Participation Rules; Respond by December 8, 2014

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:33:55 -0800
Cc: public-w3process@w3.org
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 6:50 , Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/12/14 15:26, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Taking David's original example: is there anyone here would be opposed
>> to instituting a rule that no more that 5 of the TAG participants be a
>> white male?  After all, wouldn't it be prudent to institute such a rule?
>
> It could be worse, they could all 5 be of french descent…

Oh, now we’re really opening cans of worms!

>> But that's not the direction I would suggest that the W3C take further.
>>  I still think that a better approach do diversity is to change the
>> election system in ways that are currently being evaluated.  That plus
>> the feedback look that Daniel is describing should be what is pursued.
>
> Thanks. This is a vote after all; let's trust the AC to _not_ vote for
> too many individuals coming from the same employer.

That’s not the problem we’re talking about currently.  We’re talking about what happens when people *change* employment.  We haven’t yet had any proposal to change the rules on who can stand as candidates.

> Dan said in his last message we have a rather good consensus. On a weak
> and good enough compromise, yes. On the best solution, I'm not sure.

When I suggested this, it was to try to address the complaints and concerns from all sides, so yes, it’s a compromise, not a perfect solution (from anyone’s point of view). Agreed.