Re: Request for Comments: proposed priorities for the Advisory Board (2014-2015)

[ + public-openw3c ; apologies for the top-posting but I want to provide
some context ]

Hi JC,

The following information about AB members' role provides my guide:

[[
<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/organization.html#AB-TAG-participation>

Advisory Board and TAG participants have a special role within W3C: they
are elected by the Membership and appointed by the Director with the
expectation that they will use their best judgment to find the best
solutions for the Web, not just for any particular network, technology,
vendor, or user.
]]

I don't see anything here that mandates AB members must use
Member-confidential means to fulfill their role. In fact, given the
emphasis to find "best solutions for the Web", I think AB members and
the AB group itself are remiss to not openly and transparently
collaborate with the Web, which of course also includes non-Members. As
such, I think it is important (a mandate really) that the AB does indeed
seek input from the Public thus I believe my e-mail is entirely
appropriate (NB: the document has Public read permissions).

(I realize some people don't want to use public-w3process for such a
discussion. That's fine, we can use public-openw3c instead.)

-Thanks, AB