RE: Overall structure of the W3C

As Jeff points out, there is no such thing as "W3C" apart from the multihost structure.  So as much as I find it bizarre, incomprehensible, inefficient, etc., I don't see it as a fruitful AB topic.

>>     b. Is the Team's size and makeup appropriate to our current
>> workload, considering our limited resources?

The harder and more actionable question is whether the W3C team's high overhead  is sustainable.  I agree it's a hard topic for a public list, but we can't reasonably make substantial changes without a good understanding of how non-member stakeholders would react to changes.  I think we should entertain concrete proposals for how to maintain the W3C core value proposition with less Team engagement in the process details, and follow up any rough consensus with an experiment to test an idea's viability.

Productive area for experimentation might be one of the domains where there is a lot of overlap between the scope and membership of CGs and WGs.  A few that come to mind are

WebVTT http://www.w3.org/community/texttracks/ and TTML http://www.w3.org/2012/02/timed-text-wg-charter.html

http://www.w3.org/community/respimg/ and the HTML WG

http://www.w3.org/community/ortc/ and http://www.w3.org/2011/04/webrtc/

It's the last one I know the most about (but what I say has the most risk of being influenced by Day Job Politics, so I'll try to stay away from the details right now). The lesson I take from this for W3C is that expert communities get together in whatever venue they find most congenial and productive, and it will be in a CG (or WHATWG) if the WG doesn't offer a high return on the investment in overhead.  While it seems inefficient to discuss essentially the same technology in different CGs and WGs, maybe we could experiment where instead of a dedicated WG chartered to "own" some space, potentially there could be multiple lightweight CGs in the space.  Whichever CGs can successfully incubate a spec might   then go to an overarching SuperGroup to standardize the spec or reconcile conflicting specs from different CGs.

This approach MIGHT allow overall reductions in team resources, since the team would focus on the well-incubated specs and a few supergroups, and not spent years trying to "grow specs from seed from stony ground" in a large number of WGs.

BTW, this all my personal musing wearing my AB hat, not anything endorsed by me as Microsoft's AC rep.