RE: Spec organizations and prioritization

No one is arguing that web standards are final and immutable or that we're all going to finish this soon and walk away.  But it also isn't that every morning we throw away our Web Browsers and replace them with something completely different. Everything is not in flux.

In W3C, the output of a Working Group is a Recommendation.  Nothing about it is final other than that particular dated version is done and the next version will have a different version number and date.  At that point in time, it's what is agreed on after careful review.  For something like HTML, I think it would be better for a Recommendation to come out every year (rather than have the last one be 1999).  Nothing in the process implies that the technology freezes or that there will never be an updated version.  Nothing in it implies it wouldn't be a good idea to implement drafts that are later than the recommendation if you think they're worth using.