Re: Spec organizations and prioritization

On Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 14:04, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2012-03-22 14:57, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> >

> > On Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 13:52, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >

> > > OK; here's another data point. HTTPbis started as RFC 2616, split into
> > > seven pieces. After the split was done, the modularization essentially
> > > creates no overload at all, but makes maintenance much easier; in
> > > particular with multiple authors working on different parts at the same
> > > time.
> >

> > When did the work start? When is the estimated completion date? I guess we then compare that to start-end dates of RFC2616 itself?
>
> I don't think that's an interesting comparison; you would need to also
> look at # of issues fixed, amount of discussion and research needed to
> actually decide on each issue, and how much time each of the authors
> could invest.

True. As Facebook says, "it's complicated".
> That being said; we started ~4 years ago, and 4 out of seven parts are
> in Working Group Last Call.

At the risk of killing the discussion, one (somewhat expensive) place to look for answers might be here:
http://www.igi-global.com/journal/international-journal-standards-standardization-research/1077

Lots of papers on these subjects there (…science and paywalls… grrrrr!).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au