Re: Spec organizations and prioritization

On Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 13:31, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> Le jeudi 22 mars 2012 à 12:51 +0000, Marcos Caceres a écrit :
> > I agree with Anne here. You are assuming that modularisation solves
> > the problem in the way CSS is doing it. It is also possible to
> > "modularise" sections of a spec for stability (as the WHATWG HTML
> > spec does), without making separate specs. Some specs, like HTML5,
> > make sense as a monolithic spec: breaking it up into lots of "modules"
> > would just be "make work".
>
> I think this characterization of "make work" only holds if it doesn't
> get us anything; if it gets us something (e.g. higher RF protection),
> then it's not mark work.

This is true. Case in point are various specs spun from HTML5 directly or indirectly:

XHR (was once in or going to be part of HTML5, IIRC),  Web Storage, and Web Messaging for instance.

> Modularization for the sake of it is make work; modularization built
> around fast tracking features that are already deployed and
> interoperable seems to be a good investment (even if costly).

We would need to ask Hixie how long it took him to write the script that breaks the WHATWG spec up into the little specs (and cost of maintenance of that code). That would give us a real cost estimate.
> > As a point of comparison: look at the interop in HTML5 feature sets
> > and the size of the HTML5 spec relative to other "modules" and that
> > might give you an indication of speed and progress… HTML5, for its
> > size and scope, has move at a pretty amazing speed by anyone's measure
> > (and retained extremely high quality).
>

> HTML5 is pretty amazing by many measures; but the actual interop among
> the various features that HTML5 defines varies a lot: it's great for
> some, passable for others, and inexistent for others. The modularization
> that I think would make sense for HTML5 would be the one that focuses on
> the first set.

Yep.

> > > I was suggesting that the CSS group was providing the example. Surely
> > > you don't want me to create a new group just for the purpose of setting
> > > an example.
> >

> > I don't know if they are or not. Work in CSS still progresses at
> > generally normal pace (standardisation takes around 5 years on
> > average, no?). W3C actually has all that data (how long from it takes
> > from FPWD to Rec… would be good to get proper stats about how long on
> > average the process takes and compare across groups).
>

> I started to look into this the other day, and can share the CSV data
> that I extracted in that early work; but I stopped when it was obvious
> that I didn't have a specific theory to test for the existing data set,
> or not the right data for the theories I wanted to test.
>
> My theory is: specs that stick close to implementation deployment can
> fly through the Rec track. But I don't think that anyone has been
> tracking that particular characteristic.

I think any start on this would be good. Even if it's a simple question… how long does it take to go from A to B? Then we can look more closely at the data. So wish I could find a little time to go into this… it's super interesting.

--
Marcos Caceres

http://datadriven.com.au