Re: Spec organizations and prioritization

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:12:57 -0700, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
wrote:
> Sure, but these edge cases clearly don't have such a big impact on
> interop that it prevented large-scale deployment; so I think it would
> have been better to ship a spec leaving the edge cases undefined (which
> is in any case the situation we're in now), rather than trying to tackle
> all the edge cases and never get the RF commitments.

1. That's make work. 2. That would not have helped with all the bug
reports browser vendors have been getting over the past years with regards
to XMLHttpRequest as the specification would not have given an answer on
how to proceed.

Putting a few words on a paper with a W3C sticker on it does not really
make a standard. In the HTML4-era that was acceptable, now it's not. If
you are interested in that maybe you should just go ahead and push
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequest through the Recommendation
track.

--
Anne van Kesteren