RE: Patent Policy issues...

>Note, however, that if a CG report moves to the Rec track, then disclosure
>obligations kick in as part of the W3C Patent Policy.

The disclosure obligation if the CG spec moves into a WG is not for the same people as those who are in the CG.  Disclosure for a TR is an obligation only for W3C members.  CG members don't have to be W3C members.

Disclosure based only on actual personal knowledge isn't much of a burden.  You either personally know or you don't.  You don't have to do any search.  You just have to disclose if you yourself already know.

>One idea that was discussed was "If you don't sign the FSA you have a disclosure
>obligation." There was resistance even to that proposal.

The optional FSA is late in the process when you'd like to work around these things early.   It also doesn't appear to have any disclosure requirement: " 7.2.2. No Disclosure Obligation. If I do not join the Corresponding Working Group, I have no patent disclosure obligations outside of those set forth in Section 6 of the W3C Patent Policy. "  Since W3C Patent Policy Section 6 says it applies only to W3C members, it seems to say no obligation for non-W3C members.