RE: Patent Policy issues...

But later is not the same people.  A CG creates a Community Spec where a participant has personal knowledge of patents that contain essential claims.  A WG adopts the Community Spec.  Someone gets sued for implementing.

The disclosure rules are lightweight.  They involve personal knowledge, not any patent search.  They prevent the situation that someone knows technology being added to a spec is encumbered but the group producing the spec does not.

For the reason Charles mentioned, there should be a disclosure requirement in CGs ( based on personal knowledge like for W3C members and TRs).