Re: html4 vs html5 and "superseded RECs" when there isn't a new REC

On Wednesday, 7 March 2012 at 10:35, Carr, Wayne wrote:
> With HTML4 we have the formal W3C Recommendation for HTML, but no one would want that as the basis for a UA. It has been superseded by HTML5. But, people still write that html4 is the html spec and html5 is in the future. Obviously, that doesn’t reflect the Web Browsers out there which have embraced html5. But html5 is still years away from going to REC.
>
> It seems in this (hopefully) unusual situation,

Just wondering, was it not the same case with CSS 2.1 (and now with many modules of CSS3)? And with XHR 1 and XHR level 2 also (with neither XHR version going to REC, while XHR 1 was abandoned in favour of just "XHR"…)

XHR level 2 was originally published under:
http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest2/

But then, XHR1 was deemed obsolete, and XHR2 took the home of XHR 1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/

What would be nice would be if HTML5 would dethrone the obsolete XHTML spec from the URI (and we dropped the "5" from the spec, as the WHATWG has done):
http://www.w3.org/TR/html/

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au