Re: snapshots vs living standards

On 2012-03-05 16:22, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 5 mars 2012 à 05:49, Charles McCathieNevile a écrit :
>> It is reasonable to argue that HTML4 was not a well-written spec, and I
>> think generally accepted that it did not match reality very well.
>
> I do not think that is true either. Again "what is the crowd?".
> HTML4 was perceived by *Web developers* as a huge improvement over HTML 3.2 in terms of clarity and explanation. We had for once a specification which had examples and _clear_ descriptions. It might certainly have been a pain for implementers.
>
> HTML4 with the glasses of now is indeed a more ambiguous spec. (Not that I have seen many Web authors complaining about HTML5 which led to the specific versions of HTML5 for them.)

Indeed. The HTML5 spec is optimized for a certain class of developers
(UA implementors), which IMHO makes it a pain to process for other people.

(and yes, the alternate format helps, but I believe most content authors
would prefer something that is closer to form of the HTML4 spec;
something Mike's spec is closer to [1]).

Best regards, Julian

[1] <http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/>