Re: marking old TRs as obsolete - RE: "Living Standards"

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 19:33 +0000, Carr, Wayne wrote:
> >Instead of an ugly ignorable warning, you prepend "Obsolete" to the spec's title,
> >you make the background light grey, you change the top left W3C strip to grey,
> >you bold the "Latest Version" link. The most practical would be to detect that in
> >JS.
>
> Altering old publications that are obsolete to say obsolete is a good idea.  IETF does that, don't they?
>
> So only the latest version in TR would not say obsolete.  If a draft was abandoned before getting to REC, it could also be marked obsolete with a note that no further work was being done on that particular draft.
>
> Along with this, if it is easy enough to publish a heartbeat draft, those could be done more frequently so not be so far out of touch with the editors draft.  With anything without WG consensus marked as provisional.
>
> It doesn't seem like any of this would require process doc changes (it doesn't conflict with the process).  Seems, the w3c staff could just agree to start doing it.

I would note that Charles added this issue into our tracker:
[[
ISSUE-2: TR documents which are obsolete or have been "parked" or
abandoned

Obsoleting

TR documents which are obsolete or have been "parked" or abandoned
]]
http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/2

I'd like to encourage others to do so as well, both for the process and
pubrules related items,

Philippe