Re: Proposal for Schema.org extension mechanism

On 02/13/2015 10:34 PM, Guha wrote:
> External Extensions
>
> Sometimes there might be a need for a third party (such as an app
> developer) to create extensions specific to their application. For example,
> Pinterest might want to extend the schema.org concept of ‘Sharing’ with
> ‘Pinning’. In such a case, they can create schema.pinterest.com and put up
> their extensions, specifying how it links with core schema.org. We will
> refer to these as external extensions.

Hello,

In recent reply to an older private thread with James M Snell and me,
Sam Goto linked to this proposal and suggested that we could use
something like  *schema.activitystrea.ms* if we would want to use
extended schema.org for Activity Streams 2.0

In recent conversation on IRC #social, Harry Haplin said that as for
today: "formal and normative dependencies on schema.org should not be
part of W3C specs right now"
http://socialwg.indiewebcamp.com/irc/social/2015-02-18/line/1424288449258

I wonder if using something in w3.org namespace would resolve that
issue? e.g. *http://www.w3.org/ns/schema*

I also thought about https://w3id.org/schema but possibly it will also
not satisfy requirements for W3C formal and normative dependencies.

I also know that Credentials CG finds interest in aligning with
schema.org vocabulary or even having it integrated as Reviewed Extension
* https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Jan/0004.html
It looks like it also makes sense for work in Web Payments CG
* https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/134#issuecomment-56285057

I believe that resolving issue of using schema.org in normative
dependencies in W3C specifications will make work in various W3C groups,
which need web vocabularies, much more straight forward.

Social WG will have Face to Face meeting on March 17&18 at MIT, James M
Snell - working on Activity Streams 2.0 Vocabulary, Tantek Çelik long
time contributor to Microformats and one of Social WG chairs and many
others will participate in it. I hope we can discuss this topic there
and by then gather more feedback from W3C staff and schema.org leaders.
* https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/2015-03-17
* https://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/15

Thank you all for giving some of you attention to this case!