Re: Public Review of GS1 Web Vocabulary and Structured Data Guideline

Dear Eric:

Thanks a lot (!) for your effort and proposal. Below, find a few quick comments.

1. The URIs of the terms are not dereferencable - e.g. http://data.semaku.com/gs1/Address returns a 404 status code:
$ curl -I http://data.semaku.com/gs1/Address
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

This makes a detailed review kind of difficult, for one will have to dig deep into the many Turtle files.

2. It is unclear to me whether the approach aims at

a) creating an extension proposal for schema.org, i.e. eventually aiming at the full use of GS1 codes and conceptual elements with schema.org
b) creating an external ontology that complements schema.org and allows publishing GS1-based additional details that schema.org does not cover or
c) creating a stand-alone ontology of GS1 standards.

I think that a) would be most useful and from my experience also doable without blowing up the size of schema.org, i.e. by a clever combination of

- external enumerations for codes and other qualitative values,
- the proposed property-value extension mechanism for product features and a standard pattern for referencing e.g. GPC product properties, and
- a few, carefully chosen additional elements for schema.org.

Currently, the work looks much like c) - with a minimal alignment with existing GS1-elements in schema.org/GoodRelations.

It would be nice if you could solve the first issue; this will make providing more detailed feedback simpler.

Also, I would appreciate your clarification on #2, because without that information, it is difficult to give meaningful feedback.

I also suggest to organize a 1 - 2 day face-to-face workshop to go over the proposal in depth prior to moving forward. I do not think that we can get from the proposal to a polished, widely accepted version by exchanging a few emails.

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group