Re: Some interesting things that show up when using a reasoner to classify schema.org

From: <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 06:16:02 +0100
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com>
Hi Simon:
On 18 Jan 2015, at 18:54, Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com> wrote:

> 4: The range of foodEstablishment is  FoodEstablishment or Place;
>   but: FoodEstablishment is a subclass of LocalBusiness
>          LocalBusiness is a subclass of Place,

This pattern can make sense, even though it is logically redundant, because by explicitly listing a specific subtype (e.g. FoodEstablishment), you point human users of the vocabulary to this specific one (because it triggers the display of this type in the documentation), while allowing the generic one (e.g. Place) and its subtypes.

Unless we have a separate meta-data level for separating such "documentation-level" type information from the logical level, I think that this is not an anti-pattern.

Martin