The perils and delights of multiple type entities for schema.org (was Re: Proposal: schema.org/MobileVideoGame)

   1. AFAIK, information for webmasters on how to express multiple type
   entities (hereafter MTEs) is non-existent.  There's no documentation on the
   subject on schema.org on itself nor, to the best of my knowledge, on any
   of the sponsor's sites (neither Bing, Yahoo, Yandex nor Google provide
   guidance in the use of MTEs).

   The only way I've learned anything at all about correct MTE syntax is
   via this mailing list, which is hardly a primary resource for most
   webmasters.

   All of this makes MTE use difficult for most webmasters, and increases
   the chance that when MTEs are employed they'll be employed incorrectly.

   2. Search engines do not provide visible support for MTEs.

   I use the word "visible" because its by no means clear whether or not
   the search engines correctly support MTE declarations, nor *which* search
   engines understand MTEs.

   The new Google Structured Data Testing Tool doesn't seem to support MTEs
   well, and the example posted by Jarno van Driel a year ago still returns
   errors that shouldn't be present if the MTE declarations were understood
   correctly.  The Yandex Structured Data Validator throws an error for the
   exact code provided for the mobile video game example I previously
   referenced (from schema.org/VideoGame).

   And while these are errors reported by specific data consumers, this
   should concern schema.org IMO, and not just because the engines
   referenced are schema.org sponsors.  These tools - and especially the
   Google SDTT - are touchstones for webmasters wishing to employ structured
   data, and when good markup requires the use of an MTE *and then* throws
   a validation errors, webmasters are liable to produce inferior markup by
   eradicating a type, or by abandoning their structured data efforts.

   This does not support "the purpose of schema.org" to "improve the web by
   creating a structured data markup schema supported by major search
   engines", [2] especially when the major search engines give every
   indication that they don't support the structured data markup webmasters
   are being encouraged to use.

   3. Use of MTEs makes it more difficult to extend the use of schema.org
   (which the initiative also implicitly acknowledges as a goal in saying that
   "Markup can also enable new tools and applications that make use of the
   structure").

   Would the sort of applications that have been worked on (e.g. [3],[4])
   function with the additional complexity introduced by MTEs?  Don't know,
   but they *do* add complexity.

None of this is to say the use of MTEs isn't occasionally, or even often,
warranted, and certainly not to say that they shouldn't be used.

But it is to say that, as Martin Hepp has previously said on the subject
[5] (and he's also enumerated some of the syntactical challenges of MTEs
[6]), that there is "a trade-off decision" to be made here.  Yes, we don't
want to - and quoting Martin again here - define "dozens of subtypes or
additional siblings for existing types."  But it seems to me to be a
reasonable trade off to create a sub-type when the entity class is question
is widely represented on the web, and it is of no small significance in
these cases whether or not a data consumer can accurately understand the
data being provided - and I think mobile video games fall into that
category.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Jan/0064.html
[2] https://schema.org/docs/faq.html#0
[3] http://moz.com/blog/semantic-analytics