Re: schema.org Series generalized, VideoGameSeries added for sdo-venkman release

Richard brings up a few good points.  However...read on.

In Freebase, early on we saw that the literary world goes fairly deep into
Series related things.  So, we took the stance to make many sub-types to
help uncover those in the Literary world.  Types like Book Edition
Series...and Literary Series...2 very different Series types.

For instance, eventually Richard is going to want what we have in Freebase
called, a Book Edition Series...
https://www.freebase.com/book/book_edition_series?schema=&lang=en  "This
type is for series of book editions. That is to say, series where the items
in the series are particular editions of books -- these will generally all
have the same publisher, and may have a uniform binding or other unifying
features such as all having the same illustrator or series editor. For
series of books (i.e., series where you can say that any edition is part of
the series), use the type Literary Series."

Here's Literary Series in Freebase:
https://www.freebase.com/book/literary_series?schema=&lang=en  "A literary
series is any series of written works (books, plays, stories, poems,
essays, articles, etc.). Examples of things that could use this type
include: novels or stories that share a setting or characters; a sonnet
cycle; articles or essays published in a recurring column; a series of
yearly anthologies."

In Freebase, we do not have Media Series or even a plain old Series....they
would just become bucket types in our view.

I agree with Richard that the current Series is not as generic a
description as possible.
BUT, I am also afraid of overloading too much into a an ill-fitting generic
Series, which might only be a bucket type in the end, just to make any
Series compatible with it.

--
-Thad
Thad on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>