Re: Schema.org Sports Vocabulary Proposal

In the book world, FWIW, we have the concept of ³contributors² who indeed
can assume multiple ³roles". Expressed in RDBMS, it amounted to appending
a new row to a table where the personıs name is repeated, and their
additional role. (And so on, if the person has more than two roles.) So
for the book Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss is listed twice - once as the
author and once as the illustrator. Different websites consume/use/display
this data in different ways, but I bet on more than one occasion you have
seen someoneıs name listed twice on a book listing page, because theyıve
had more than one role in creating that book and that website is importing
the data without refining it.

Expressed semantically, I am not sure quite how you would go about it
because I am not fluent (yet). But the concept of relating one person to
many roles is one that media industries (music, video, games, books) have
grappled with for quite some time.

At ISNI, we have an ever-growing list of roles a contributor can play -
and a contributor is very loosely defined; s/he can be anyone who adds
value to content on the web. So the football/soccer (Iım neutral) player
Cristiano Ronaldo, though he has not created any content himself, has had
a great deal of content created about him, so his ISNI URI is
http://isni.org/isni/0000000114607485. (Youıll see at the bottom a link to
his Wikipedia page - it is a reciprocal link.)

More relevant to your baseball example, Derek Jeter obviously has one ISNI
and multiple roles - batter and shortstop - with statistics linked to each
role.

Donıt know if that is helpful, but I sympathize with the problem.