Re: Generic Property-Value Proposal for Schema.org

Let me first say I like the generic extension mechanism as a whole as well
as the property name 'additionalProperty'. It seems obvious in regards to
how to use.

Having quite some experience with eCommerce sites myself though, I also see
a some disadvantages for website owners. Especially for those who have a
site which sells many different types of products and get their product
info from supplier feeds or datasheets that generally don't contain this
type of data. Meaning that if a site-owner would want publish this type of
data, quite a lot of code development (and thus resources) would be needed.
And I suspect quite a lot of daily man hours as well, since it's the type
of data that's difficult to markup automated within a template system.

If a corporation with tens of thousands of products on their site(s) would
contemplate doing this, what would there to gain for them?

And from the perspective of data-consumers, e.g. schema.org's sponsors or
price-comparison sites: what are the advantages of having access to this
type of non-standardized data. Doesn't the fact that it's non-standardized
also mean it's data that's hard to process, especially when comparing
specific product specifications?