Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

I also have a strong preference for option B; I think it can be understood by broad audiences.

It will still happen that people will use sameAs for the URLs of pages instead of the URIs of entities (and I think that is fine), but one could then at least say that the best practice is to

- use sameAs for URIs of entities (e.g. Freebase)
- use socialAccount (or accountURL or webAccountURL if we want to avoid the social) for LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, G+
- use url for other Web pages that are the primary Web resources operated by / describing the Person or Organization

One problem with the sameAs pattern as the main solution is that you will have to define the typed entity locally in your markup before your can point to the external URI, whereas with properties like socialAccount, you spare one itemscope/itemtype in Microdata syntax.

Martin

On 13 Apr 2014, at 01:15, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:

> CHOICE A:

>     (<a itemprop="url" href="https://www.freebase.com/m/07dkfwx#this">Thad Guidry's topic on Freebase</a>,
>      <a itemprop="webid" href="http://twitter.com/thadguidry#this">Thad Guidry's twitter account</a>,
> <a itemprop="webid"
> href="http://www.freebase.com/user/thadguidry#this">Thad Guidry's user account on Freebase</a>,
> <a itemprop="webid"
> href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry#this">Thad Guidry's user account on LinkedIn</a>)
>
> CHOICE B:

>     (<a itemprop="sameAs" href="https://www.freebase.com/m/07dkfwx">Thad Guidry's topic on Freebase</a>,
>      <a itemprop="socialAccount" href="http://twitter.com/thadguidry">Thad Guidry's twitter account</a>,
> <a itemprop="account"
> href="http://www.freebase.com/user/thadguidry">Thad Guidry's user account on Freebase</a>,
> <a itemprop="sameAs"
> href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry#this">Thad Guidry's profile on LinkedIn</a>)
>

> I would pick B every time.
>
> At this point, I see no additional gain for the Stakeholders, Web Developers, Apps, or me.
>
> #this feels....burdensome and adds an additional layer that is actually outside the Schema.org property's understanding.  And besides, Fragments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragment_identifier like what your trying to reuse, are nice and cool, and those depend on a client to process them...however they wish....a server does nothing with fragments, last time I checked the RFC's.
>
> Willing to look at it through your eyes Kingsley, but your going to have to give us examples that show the benefit that your pitching...even live working examples with some App or Webpage out there that understands your ideas and can build relations with them.  Schema.org has to meet the needs of the plenty...not of the few.
>
> Proof in the pudding big guy ?
>
> (LinkedIn trick...if anyone noticed...do we care?  YES, some of us actually do, and that's what I am talking about....avoid the confusion...and stop living the dream that you can "socially communicate" with me on a site like LinkedIn ... YOU CANNOT...you can only openly communicate with folks on social sites or through social apps....we need a property that also supports the Communication idea....not just the Thing idea.)
>
> --
> -Thad
> +ThadGuidry
> Thad on LinkedIn