Re: Citation markup with Periodical proposal

On 4/12/14, 11:01 AM, Wes Turner wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> This seems especially helpful and in support of "Joint Declaration of
> Data Citation Principles" (Human Understandable and
> Machine-Actionable) [1]

Wes,

Good addition to the conversation. Since this proposal is based around
periodicals and multi-volume works, it would probably need to be
separate from it. (Note that there are other things that are cited, such
as personal communications, that aren't yet covered in schema.org.) We'd
want to think about how to indicate the data types, and I presume that
someone has such a list. I know the NISO [1] is intending to work on
rules for citing "observed" data. That will include things like data
gathering techniques, fields, format, versioning, subsets, etc. (It can
get quite complex). It remains to be seen if/when such a metadata format
will come into use.

There is also the Semantic Publishing and Referencing (SPAR) work that
has an interesting set of citation types. [2] In that regard,
CreativeWork has /citation that creates a non-specific relationship
between the citation and the article ("is cited") whereas CiTO gives the
specific reason for the citation (e.g. the motivation for the citation,
"in suport of" "refuting" etc.). I would consider that to be a property
of the citation statement and not the article description, and I'm not
sure how/where it would fit into schema.org. But if there were citation
types, then "supporting data" would make sense as a type, and more
specific information may be available on the nature of the data set.

> I wonder whether this schmema.org microdata encoding of MLA citation
> style would qualify as a new CSL citation style. [2][3]

This looks like an excellent place to put examples.

> Microdata and/or RDFa output templates for Zotero would be neat. [4]

The discussion there is interesting, and brings up some of the problems
in going from citations to more detailed mark-up. However, they do
mention COinS [3] (Context Object in Spans) which is already a citation
markup in html and a Zotero export form. It may be a good source of
information for a JSON-LD version of the citation, but adding schema
markup to it would undoubtedly break all of the software that makes use
of the COinS citations.

Here's a quick COinS example:
    class="Z3988"

title="ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&amp;rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Ajournal&amp;rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Focoins.info%3Agenerator&amp;rft.genre=article&amp;rft.atitle=Managing+Sameness&amp;rft.title=Journal+of+Academic+Librarianship&amp;rft.stitle=jacalib&amp;rft.issn=0099-1333&amp;rft.date=2008-09&amp;rft.volume=34&amp;rft.issue=5&amp;rft.spage=452&amp;rft.epage=453&amp;rft.aulast=Coyle&amp;rft.aufirst=Karen&amp;rft.au=Karen+Coyle&amp;rft_id=info:doi/doi%3A10.1016%2Fj.acalib.2008.07.012"></span>

In my own bibliographies, I'm planning on leaving these as they are, and
will test to see if adding schema.org confusing the COinS readers.

But, this also brings to mind that there used to be a COinS generator -
where you filled in a form and it spit out the appropriate COinS (I
believe it no longer exists). For bibliographic citations and for
bibliographic data in certain field-delimited formats (BibTex, EndNote),
it mibht be useful to provide an input/output service.

kc

[1] http://www.niso.org/topics/tl/researchdata/
[2]
http://speroni.web.cs.unibo.it/cgi-bin/lode/req.py?req=http:/purl.org/spar/cito