Re: Citation markup with Periodical proposal

Thanks!

This seems especially helpful and in support of "Joint Declaration of
Data Citation Principles" (Human Understandable and
Machine-Actionable) [1]

I wonder whether this schmema.org microdata encoding of MLA citation
style would qualify as a new CSL citation style. [2][3]

Microdata and/or RDFa output templates for Zotero would be neat. [4]

[1] http://www.force11.org/datacitation
[2] http://citationstyles.org/styles/style-repository/
[3] https://www.zotero.org/styles
[4] https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/35992/export-to-schemaorg-rdfa-andor-microdata/
:

On 4/11/14, Wallis,Richard <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org> wrote:
> [...]
> relationship between the periodical, volume, and issue/” has now been
> added to the proposal document here
> <https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Periodicals,_Articles_and_Multi-volume_Works#Example_3_-_An_article_citation_in_MLA_format.2C_using_a_.27flat.27_markup_approach>.
>

> ~Richard
>
> On 9 Apr 2014, at 14:50, Wallis,Richard
> <Richard.Wallis@oclc.org<mailto:Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>
> <mailto:Richard.Wallis@oclc.org>> wrote:
>
> Coming out of a day of wall-2-wall meetings to find this list has made
> the points I was going to make and formed a general consensus is great!
>
> So all I can add is, support to Dan’s earlier comment that the
> SchemaBibex "/proposal slants toward hierarchical markup/” yet "/At
> the same time, we can also support quite flat markup/" - “ /..the
> proposal fills a significant gap in the schema.org<http://schema.org>
> <http://schema.org/> vocabulary./”
>
> Plus I acknowledge that the examples in the proposal are lacking one
> that demonstrates this flat approach.
>
> I will work with Dan to get such an example added to the proposal and
> also take this into account when we add to the SchemaBibEx Recipes and
> Guidelines
> <https://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Recipes_and_Guidelines>
> section,
> once it has been adopted
>
> Thanks to Karen for raising this and to all who contributed.
>
> ~Richard
>
> On 9 Apr 2014, at 14:14, Dan Scott
> <dan@coffeecode.net<mailto:dan@coffeecode.net>
> <mailto:dan@coffeecode.net>> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 07:48:56PM +0200, Karen Coyle wrote:
> Thanks, Niklas and Dan and Adrian.
>
> Niklas, yours is a successful version of something that I tried
> unsuccessfully - nesting all of the periodical "parts" in between
> article properties. The turtle makes sense to me, even though the
> RDFa is hard to grasp (but then, I'm not a machine).
>
> Dan, I couldn't turtle-ize yours, and the rich snippet tool appears
> to be flaky and wouldn't spit out the pages section. It may be
> equivalent to Niklas' - I have no idea. Sorry.
>
> My fault: I'm much better at RDFa than I am at microdata; I should have
> prefixed http://schema.org/ to the PublicationVolume / PublicationIssue
> types in my microdata example. At least that works as I meant it to in
> http://linter.structured-data.org
> <http://linter.structured-data.org/> and
> http://rdf.greggkellogg.net/distiller (and by the way, Gregg, you rock
> for providing both of those services!)
>
> In any case, the core difference between Niklas's and my example is that
> I did not include any nesting, because I thought flat was what you were
> asking for. And yes, the Rich Snippet Tool is well-known for dropping
> properties that it doesn't recognize (it complains about isPartOf and
> presumably can't be bothered to complain about pageStart / pageEnd).
>
> Let's get this proposal adopted and put the Rich Snippet Tool to work!

Wes Turner