Re: Socialnetworks of a person or organization

On 4/11/14 7:50 PM, Aaron Bradley wrote:
> I think Thad typifies the difference between the "regular web" and the
> "social web" (and it is indeed an important one for marketers) well
> when he says:
>
> > The difference between the 2 is that one has the context of "allows a
> communication pathway to an Organization or Person"...versus those
> that are not constructed to really have communication to a
> Organization or Person".
>
> Or - as I might have mentioned before - the "regular web" references
> resources /about/ an entity, whereas the social web references
> resources that emanate /from/ an entity.

It is simpler, really.
The Web provides foundation for many kinds of network abstractions
[1][2][3]. Each of this abstractions is fundamentally driven by
denotation relations.

>  In regard to the referenced entity the former is passive, the latter
> active (or at least  potentially so) - it's the difference between a
> third and person narrative.
>
> Is the Wikipedia page /about /Monsanto in the same category as the
> Twitter account run /by/ Monsanto?  I sure don't think so, and I think
> that its useful for data consumers to be able to distinguish between
> these two classes of identifiers when returning information about the
> entity in question.

It just about which abstraction you are working with. We only get into
trouble when we mangle the abstractions :-)

BTW -- Dan's example provide good foundation for understanding the
matters. It provides a bridge solution that ultimately aids in
understanding important lines of demarcation. For instance, the role of
a *pronoun* in natural language is subtle but powerful.

Sticking with Dan's example, here are some additional relation name
suggestions, as alternatives to anything with "sameAs" in it:

1. describedBy -- your Twitter Home page Identifies you since its
comprised of a Description of you
2. profileAt -- your Twitter home page is a document at a location
denoted by its HTTP(S) URL
3. hasProfileDoc -- variant of the above.

The above are in addition to:

1. identifiedBy
2. referencedBy
3. subjectOf .

All of these make Dan's example a little clearer, as alternatives to
"sameAs" .

Again, there is a subtlety in Dan's example that really needs to be
picked up, it solves a major headache re. bridging the world of:

1. structured data
2. linked data
3. semantically enhanced linked data.

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/1cjYwqN -- Internet abstraction (driven by DNS names
for computers (actually their NICS) re. entity denotation and scope)
[2] http://bit.ly/1e0pwdI -- Linked Document (or World Wide Web 1.0)
abstraction (driven by HTTP names for Web Documents)
[3] http://bit.ly/INv6ag -- Linked Data (or Data Web) abstraction driven
by HTTP names for anything
[4] http://bit.ly/1lHD31h -- Semantic Web abstraction (driven by names
for anything combined with machine comprehensible relation semantics)