Re: Citation markup with Periodical proposal

On 4/9/14, 5:04 PM, Gregg Kellogg wrote:

> Hi Karen, I get the following Turtle for your example:

Thanks, Gregg. And special thanks for using turtle, which I find easier
to read than JSON (much less JSON-LD).:-)

> Note that the article and the periodical are not related to each
> other. You're probably missing an @itemprop on the div introducing
> the new @itemtype. Perhaps schema:publisher?

This is the nut of the problem. The journal unfortunately isn't the
publisher -- that would be easier than the reality. The publisher is
something like "Elsevier", the journal is a publication, the article is
*in* the journal. In a citation, it is left to a human brain to make the
connection. In the examples [1] the connection is article (incl.
pagination) -> issue  -> volume -> journal. However, note that this is
not the order that is used in MLA citations, which go: article ->
journal -> volume -> issue -> date -> pagination.

[slightly abbreviated from actual example]

@prefix : <http://schema.org/> .

[] a :ScholarlyArticle ;
     :author "Smiraglia, Richard P." ;
     :isPartOf <#issue> ;
     :name "Be Careful What You Wish For: FRBR, Some Lacunae, A Review" ;
     :pageEnd "368" ;
     :pageStart "360" ;

<#issue> a :PublicationIssue ;
     :datePublished "2012" ;
     :isPartOf [ a :PublicationVolume ;
             :isPartOf <#periodical> ;
             :volumeNumber "50" ] ;
     :issueNumber "5" .

<#periodical> a :Periodical ;
     :name "Cataloging & Classification Quarterly" .

************

Could someone who is better than I am at coding try marking up the MLA
in html example that I gave using this vocabulary? I've tried, but I
can't figure out an elegant way to create this structure with the items
in this order:

article
 author
 title