Re: Semantically marking up a "checklist" or process

Hi all,

as for the discussion on whether we should use chaining (prev / next links) or simple integer numbers for representing order, I have a firm preference for the latter (i.e. a property itemPosition rather than prev / next links). In fact, in GoodRelations, we introduced the latter e.g. for ordering days of the week because the first approach did not work too well.

This is for the following reasons:

1. Chaining works well only with "perfect" data - consistent and complete. If you miss one element (e.g. due to invalid markup etc.), you are lost. Data on the Web is typically noisy and buggy, so the conceptual beauty of chains comes at the cost of unreliability.

2. Chaining blows up the markup - you typically have two properties per each entity (one to the previous, one to the next).

3. Most importantly: For consumers of the data, it is much easier to sort items by a single literal than to reconstruct the ordered list from the chain structure. That was the reasons why the days of the week in GoodRelations now have an integer value indicating their position.

As for the question on representing the order of entities that form the list: This must, IMO, be solved with a dedicated data structure, since the position in the list is always a property of the entity solely in the context of that list and not a globally valid property of the entity. Think of a list of favorite actors or songs - the same items can be ordered completely different on different sites.

So I revisit my proposal and suggest to add a property

	represents Thing The entity represented by the entry in the list (e.g. the artist, song, ...).

The you can define the actual entity inside the list entry and link to it from the list element.

The full proposal is attached.

This should cater for all use-cases discussed so far.

Martin
<!-- CHANGES TO EXISTING ELEMENTS -->

<!-- New range
	ItemList