RE: schema.org and proto-data, was Re: schema.org as reconstructed from the human-readable information at schema.org

"Consume" is such a slippery word.  If all you want to do it read a lot of possibly malformed HTML, then you can do that with a lot of tools.  But, the more data you hope to intelligently extract from that HTML, the more intellectual resources you're going to have to throw at interpreting the vast amount of garbage you get.  So, the big boys are likely to do better than you or I at the vast majority of the cruft out there.  But, we can do pretty well with either low expectations or by getting our data from domains that map well to our own models/business needs.

Your mileage may vary.

Ralph

From: Peter Patel-Schneider [mailto:pfpschneider@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:50 PM
To: Christian Bizer
Cc: Guha; Martin Hepp; W3C Vocabularies
Subject: Re: schema.org and proto-data, was Re: schema.org as reconstructed from the human-readable information at schema.org

Well, sure, getting more information into easy-to-consume form is a great idea, and there are paths towards this goal.

However, my question was whether consuming the data that is already in schema.org<http://schema.org> fields requires the resources of a major search company.   I would certainly hope not, but some posts here seemed to point that way.
peter