Re: schema.org and proto-data, was Re: schema.org as reconstructed from the human-readable information at schema.org

Hi Peter,

while I agree that better documentation and examples are always a plus, I
think the problem lies elsewhere.

Let's take the example of  JobPostings again. Schema.org defines lots of
nice properties for describing job postings including "skills",
"qualifications", and "responsibilities". But these properties are not used
by the data providers which describe job postings mostly (50% of the sites
that we examined) using the properties "title", "jobLocation", and
"description".

I think that the reason for this are the schemata used by most of today's HR
databases. All of these databases are likely to have a job title and job
description field, but many won't have skills, qualifications, and
responsibilities fields and also the departments of the companies deliver
job postings as free-text to the HR department and not nicely split into
different fields.

So what do you do as a webmaster in charge of publishing your companies job
postings on the Web?

You edit the PHP-script or other script that produces the HTML pages and add
Schema.org markup. This is a 10 minutes job.

Convincing all the departments of your company to deliver job postings to
you in a different, more structured format would be a large project and the
departments are likely not to cooperate as they don't see the benefits of
the whole endeavor.

So the problem is not missing documentation or that the webmaster is stupid,
but that the webmaster currently cannot do anything about it.

I think the adoption path of the more specialized properties will be as
follows:

1.       Many websites roughly markup their content using a minimal set of
schema.org terms. This is happening now.

2.       The major search engines like Google extract "skills",
"qualifications", and "responsibilities" from the free-text of the
description field using NLP techniques and start providing sophisticated job
search features (similar to the features provided by specialized job portals
today).

3.       The departments of our example company recognize that the search
engines make errors in guessing the features from the free-text and that
their job postings are thus harder to find than the job postings of a
competitor.

4.       Thus, they ask the HR or IT department what to about this and a
process is started inside the company to capture job postings in a more
structured way and to extent the current HR database with the required
fields for this.

So the major driver for getting more structured data onto the Web are
mainstream applications consuming it. The rich snippets provided by search
engines today are a nice start, but I honestly hope that the major search
engines are already working on features such as improved job search and that
such features will be deployed soon.

Especially for the job market, this is beneficial for everybody. Job seekers
get better market transparency as they don't need to visit different job
portals anymore, but can find all job postings in a single portal (the
search engine). For companies offering jobs this is also better as their add
reaches more people and as they don't need to pay portals like Monster or
StepStone thousands of dollar for the add anymore.

Cheers,

Chris