Re: SKOS proposal - labels and notes

On 10/20/13 3:33 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:

\
> The way RDF and schema.org works, means that anything that is 'the
> name of the item' is a legit value for this property. Are there any
> values for a SKOS-like prefLabel that would not also count as 'a name
> of' the item/concept? To the extent concepts have names at all, I'd
> guess their preferred labels would all be names.

Not that I can think of.

> If not, i.e. if every preferred label of a concept is also a name, and
> if we still want to maintain an explicit notion of 'preferred label',
> then this seems a good candidate for describing as a sub-property /
> super-property relationship.

*IF* there is a use case for prefLabel in the SKOS sense, then I can
imagine it as a sub-property of name, with the additional constraint of
being unique within the concept scheme, as per the SKOS rules. But that
brings up the question of what "unique within the concept scheme" means
in schema.org. If some resource has a prefLabel, can there be only one
such string value as a prefLabel in all of schema.org?

If people want to create value lists, and they want to provide
prefLabels, altLabels and hiddenLabels for things in those lists, to do
so within schema.org is problematic because with only one namespace
available you essentially are limited to one single concept scheme. This
is not practical. It is hard enough to create a schema with single
namespace for properties; for value lists it will be even more difficult.

This argues for retaining schema:name, without the constraint of
uniqueness within the namespace, and allowing altLabel and hiddenLabel
to be used with schema, since they are relatively unconstrained.

That said, if the use case is to create application or
community-specific value lists, then I don't see why one would not
develop a thesaurus or controlled list under an appropriate namespace
using SKOS.

kc

We've used that notion already in the
> Action design, to relate focussed action-type-specific properties to
> the broader, vaguer properties on http://schema.org/Action. It might
> help here too (even though schema.org term navigation doesn't offer
> any support for sub-property links yet).

Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
m: 1-510-435-8234
skype: kcoylenet