Re: SKOS for schema.org proposal for discussion

That is my use case Karen and everyone...

To use existing SKOS controlled lists, or vocabularies, or hierarchical
lists, whatever you call them... but being able to point to an existing
SKOS Concept out there in the World Wide Web, like "Painting" and being
able to re-use the work done by others to classify, codify, put into a
hierarchy, the concept of a "Painting", the art form, as well as seeing the
relationship to the other concept of "painting", that is the Verb that
expresses the "doing" of making the noun "Painting"... i.e.... I am
"painting" a "Painting". :-) and also gaining for free, a vast structure of
organized knowledge built by others that let's me use and see Broader,
Narrower, Related, Alternate Labels, etc, etc, blah blah...

That's what SKOS means to me.  Sharing and re-using already built
hierarchical lists.

I do not necessarily care about the "name or term" that is ultimately
chosen or this discussion getting elaborated any longer.  I can read docs
easy enough on Schema.org.  I think we as a community are a bit too worried
about some developer such as myself, not paying attention to the docs or a
simple description and getting the intended use WRONG.  I think we are also
pushing to hard on the idea of a single term to descibe this... the term
(whichever one is choosen) has a description and definition.  As long as
the term that is chosen, is documented well enough on the Schema.org site
and also says that "hey, this is the Schema.org
Concept/Topic/EnumConcept/BIG_BLAH and it is used the same as a SKOS
Concept and has the same meaning and intended use, AND you can gain
incredible & free hierarchies by pointing and mapping to already existing
SKOS Concepts and Lists and noting that this is the "sameAs" ...and btw for
more info on SKOS & it's awesome history, look here dude:"

EASY.

--
-Thad
Thad on Freebase.com <http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry>