Re: [a11y-metadata-project] Re: is/hasAdaption

For what it's worth, a little background on our experience trying to describe the accessibility of our resources on Bookshare.org: When we first tried to generate metadata for the Learning Registry over a year ago, we started from Dublin Core but found that there wasn't a commonly-used way to express these kinds of content relationships. It was Liddy's work on the Dublin Core accessibility module that led us to import isAdaptationOf from the AfA vocabulary, so it seemed a good fit to carry over into the a11y spec. If we didn't import isAdaptationOf/hasAdaptation we'd probably have needed to formulate something similar.

Since schema.org does have a wider charter, I'm all for a term that's more universally applicable, but none of the existing schema.org terms really seems to satisfy the need here. isBasedOnUrl seems more properly applied to new works that build/expand upon the referenced resource. For example, at Bookshare, our books aren't derivative or expanded works, they're alternatives that provide print books via a different access mode. If I understand the definition of sameAs, then I don't think it's appropriate either, since (for example) a transcript of a recorded speech is not the same thing as the speech.

Using workExample/exampleOfWork is an elegant solution, since it's a good general-purpose property not limited to accessibility. Anything that's useful to a wider range of publishers is going to be more widely-adopted, which is a huge plus. If acceptance into schema.org is expected, then I'd be thrilled to use workExample/exampleOfWork instead.