Re: Updated proposal for updating schema.org Events spec

My only comment is in regard to the eventCategory part of proposal, and to
Justin's question here:

> In light of eventCategory, should the categorical subtypes of Event be
deprecated, so there's only one way of categorizing events? I would favor
this approach, but others told me it would be better to merely de-emphasize
the existing types.

I agree with those "others" that deprecating the existing subtypes is
unnecessary, and I think deprecation could be problematic if this leads to
diminished support for events already encoded using a more specific type.

While I don't find it objectionable per se, I find the addition of
eventCategory a curious approach, and the notion of adding one thing to
"de-emphasize" another very odd indeed.  As I think of use cases for this
schema, this approach - by dint of obviously moving from something
structured to something less structured - will result in lower-confidence
results for precise queries (e.g. "concerts in las vegas between nov. 1 and
nov. 10").

Yes, I understand that this is in response to way in which the subtypes are
observed as being rarely used in the wild.  But I wonder then whether
real-world adoption is becoming the acid test for more specific subtypes.
There's probably several thousand types of LocalBusiness not covered by
that schema's more specific subtypes, but I've not (yet) seen any argue for
the introduction of localBusinessCategory.

And on the flip side there's no more specific type of
schema.org/Productavailable at all (in the same topical sense as
MusicEvent or AnimalShelter,
like ElectronicsCategory), nor do I think that would be useful.

This all bleeds somewhat into the concurrent SKOS discussion, IMO.  Would
eventCategoy still be useful if there was a more general mechanism for
denoting topicality?  I don't think so.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org