Re: Proposal: Promote 'citation' property up to CreativeWork

Karen,

Thank you for your reply.

>> 1.Strongly recommend using ID.
>

> I agree that IDs should be used where available. IDs exist only for some articles and books, however. Article IDs have been in use only for a short while, and are more common in the sciences than in other fields. Can you do an example where there is no ID?

If there is no ID, URL would be minimum.

Here is the examples.

1.entryID (allow http)

<ul itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle">
<li>
David Pilgrim, "The Mammy Caricature," Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia,
http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mammies/, under "Commercial Mammies."
</li>
</ul>

2.url
<ul itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle">
<li>
David Pilgrim, "The Mammy Caricature," Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia,
<a itemprop="url" href="http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mammies/">http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/mammies/</a>, under "Commercial Mammies."
</li>
</ul>

>> 2.Difference between 'citation' and 'reference'
>  > 3.Take advantage of itemid
>
> I think we need to look at some other citation styles. The example you show at kanzaki.com uses this style:
>
>    [Sereno 1991]
>
> and that links to the full citation.
>
> Some document styles use a superscript number, and that can link to a partial citation:
>
>      7. Ibid., 39 - 43.

In this case, how about this mark-up?

[Preview]

"Coming to better terms with nationalism calls for Perry Anderson's more...." (Narin 1997., 17) ,
he also says that "It maybe true that modernisation-industrialisation could probably have unfolded across ....." (Ibid., 39 - 43.)
Tom Nairn, Faces of Nationalism: Janus Revisited (London and New York: Verso, 1997),
6. Tom Nairn, Faces of Nationalism: Janus Revisited (London and New York: Verso, 1997), 17.

[html]
"Coming to better terms with nationalism calls for Perry Anderson's more...."
<cite itemprop="reference" itemscope="" itemid="isbn:1859841945">(Narin 1997., 17)</cite>
  "It maybe true that modernisation-industrialisation could probably have unfolded across ....."
<cite itemprop="reference" itemscope="" itemid="isbn:1859841945">(Ibid., 39 - 43.)</cite>

If the developers use ibid, it would be shown the detail in the other part.
We can use itemid for the reference (book or article).
If it were not shown the detail, I recommend to use entryID property.

Maori

--
-- :-);-)
Maori Ito