Re: Scientific Measurements

Certainly there is uses of precise measurements outside of "science".
 Engineering, specifically, civil engineering, is probably a good example.

I do wonder about how far particular domains will want to go to specify
measurements.

For example, if you are describing a simple measurement of distance, a
simple value like "30m" might suffice.  Yet, for many application domains,
like those of science, a measurement is a complex value of more than a pair
of numerical value and a unit.

The question remains whether it is useful to have different kinds of
measurement structures that match domain users/data more appropriately.

For example, taken directly from the IVOA's UCD document, a particular
measurement of photometric magnitude might consist of:

   * the magnitude, encode in some format with some unit
   * a flag (meta code) on the magnitude indicating the quality of the
measurement
   * the statistical error in the measurement of the magnitude

In addition, there is the question of encoding that the quantity is
intended to measure photometric magnitude and there is also the question of
domain-specific categorization (e.g. is this the magnitude of a star, a
planetoid, or something else).

There's also the question of the technique or physical device used to
measure the quantity.

All this complexity might not be important to certain contexts.

--
--Alex Milowski
considered."