Re: Should we adopt SKOS?

Hi Mike,

I think 1) is more pragmatic than you describe.

The core motivation for many is to have a way to describe their Œthingsı on
the web using vocabulary types and properties that Œthe search enginesı will
commit over time to recognising.  They want their things to be discoverable.
Using, or linking to resources described using, types & properties not
recognised by the search engines will have little or no benefit towards that
end.

So starting with the Schema vocabulary Œas it isı trying to describe
resources (sufficiently to aid their discovery), as we are in the
bibliographic domain, it is clear there are a few gaps.  Some of those gaps
are roughly equivalent to existent vocabularies, such as GoodRelations in
ecommerce and in this case SKOS.  Hence the recommendation to adopt those
vocabularies wholesale as needed.

This does raise the issue of keeping in step with those vocabularies as they
evolve.  I suspect that would be very difficult to do in a satisfactory way.
I believe the best we could do is to adopt (copy) the vocabulary at a moment
in time into Schema and follow the extension proposal process for any
changes ­ that is the only way the Schema backers could be expected to add
them to the set that they will commit to recognising over time.

Unfortunately this is where your attractive proposal for external namespace
recognition would be difficult to implement/support ­ the only way to be
sure that the search engines will commit to recognise something is that it
is in the Schema namespace.

Having said all that, I do recognise that a spin off benefit of the Schema
initiative is the creation of a broadly recognised general purpose
vocabulary for describing most things.  Will this be good enough or detailed
enough for most domains to describe their resources for their own internal
purposes ­ probably not. It never will be for the Library domain!

As you will probably agree, Schema should not be viewed as the potential
vocabulary to rule them all.  It is however becoming the de facto vocabulary
you use to supplement your [domainıs] vocabularies of choice to make them
discoverable by others.

I agree with your concerns in 2) - we should not lose sight of the broad
general purpose of the initiative and the goal of delivering something
simple to help people mark up their data so the search engines can discover
them.

~Richard.