Re: Text vs Markup Datatype

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>wrote:
>

>> As I know you know, if you expect markup to be preserved, you. Can do
>> this in RDFa only with the rdf:XMLLiteral and rdf:HTML datatypes, anything
>> else will cause markup to be stripped. In microdata, all markup is
>> stripped, as you can't indicate a datatype. Neither RDFa, nor any other
>> HTML syntax I'm aware of have any special treatment for schema:Text.
>>

> I guess that's my real point here.  I sure would like to use
> rdf:XMLLiteral or rdf:HTML instead when I need to do so.
>
> It is a crying shame that markup is stripped for things like descriptions
> under all situations.  That will lead to people using escaped markup to get
> what they want ... and I can't even imagine how that will actually work
> well.

Agreed. As all of us who have straddled XML and RDF know very well, this is
something RDF has never handled in a sensible manner, to RDF's great
detriment.  That said, it's hard to see how RDFa could do anything to paper
over such a deep scar in the underlying RDF model.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com