Re: Text vs Markup Datatype

On Aug 26, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.com> wrote:

> While I understand motivations for considering the Text datatype [1] to be a simple string, I find myself wanting the ability to type something as markup.  That is, I want a rich description of an object as well.
>
> In RDFa, this is rather straightforward:

> <u>l
> <li>Red</li>
> <li>Green</li>
> <li>Blue</li>
> </ul>
>
> gives the output (Turtle):
>
> <> schema:description """<p>Now markup is allow!</p>
> <u>l
> <li>Red</li>
> <li>Green</li>
> <li>Blue</li>
> </ul>"""^^rdf:XMLLiteral .
>
> There isn't much at [1] that restricts its interpretation but I somehow doubt this use was the intent.
>
> The question really is: I can do this but what should I expect receiving systems to do with it?

As I know you know, if you expect markup to be preserved, you. Can do this in RDFa only with the rdf:XMLLiteral and rdf:HTML datatypes, anything else will cause markup to be stripped. In microdata, all markup is stripped, as you can't indicate a datatype. Neither RDFa, nor any other HTML syntax I'm aware of have any special treatment for schema:Text.

Gregg