Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Proposal for an additional term: mediaType

Just one slight comment:

The ongoing GoodRelations integration will add a property http://schema.org/category. It will at first be constrained to be used with the types

http://schema.org/Demand (new)
http://schema.org/Offer,
http://schema.org/Organization
http://schema.org/Person
http://schema.org/Place

It would not harm from the perspective of the GoodRelations usage to widen the domain to http://schema.org/Thing, but in general I think that media-types deserve a more specific pattern.

Martin

On Sep 22, 2012, at 8:08 PM, Thad Guidry wrote:

> So after mocking up a few tidbits of details in a spreadsheet with details from  http://www.lrmi.net/the-specification  and  http://www.w3.org/TR/mediaont-10/#container-mapping-table  and about a dozen others and doing some classification mapping...
>
> I came to the very quick opinion that MediaType's vary across domains, which we already knew all too well, and what typically causes confusion (the mixing between domains).
>
> So we probably have 2 or 3 choices for a proposed MediaType , its generic use, and where it could be placed within Schema.org:
>
> 1. a new specific type called  "DistributionMediaCategory" - that could be placed under http://schema.org/Enumeration  but the name of which makes it fairly specific in use (some folks might like that, and some folks not).  Enumeration is also the place where we decided to generate specific Lists of Intangible classes of things without generating much fuss about it.  I think the broadcasting & education folks would probably like this specific type and I think it would also be useful across the Internet community at large.
>
> OR
>
> 2. a no-holds-barred-unrestricted-use "Category" - that is a more specific type under http://schema.org/Intangible and which describes a class or category at the highest intangible level http://schema.org/Category.  This does 2 things.  It allows an easier entry to Schema.org extensions themselves.  And it lets you additionally categorize with the additionalType property if need be, and can be applied across all use cases and where LRMI and others can perform their external vocabulary magic without the bounds of Enumeration (flat lists).   For those in doubt, I refer to the actual description of additionalType property that we discussed and published http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/additionalTypeProposal :
>
>  An additional type for the item, typically used for adding more specific types from external vocabularies in microdata syntax. This is a relationship between something and a class that the thing is in. In RDFa syntax, it is better to use the native RDFa syntax - the 'typeof' attribute - for multiple types. Schema.org tools may have only weaker understanding of extra types, in particular those defined externally.
>
> OR
>
> 3. a new property "category" under http://schema.org/Thing - a URL that is independent from additionalType and is used to provide webmasters the ability to classify Things independent of Schema.org or any external vocabularies.
>
> OR
>
> 4. We do 1 & 2 both because we feel the need to have both ? and not 3 because it sort of breaks the rules of what we are trying to accomplish with Schema.org and extensions ?
>
> --
> -Thad
> http://www.freebase.com/view/en/thad_guidry

martin hepp