Re: URIs for properties at schema.org

Hi,

On 10/12/2011 9:45 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer to any23.org <http://any23.org>
>
> An issue I clearly see with URIs such as http://schema.org/Person/name
> is that some properties are used by more than one class. So we'll have
> for example http://schema.org/Movie/duration and
> http://schema.org/Event/duration potentially misleading to the idea that
> they are different properties with specific domains, although the
> definition found for "duration" is exactly the same at both
> http://schema.org/Movie and http://schema.org/Event : "The duration of
> the item (movie, audio recording, event, etc.) in ISO 8601 date format
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601>." So it's another argument for
> having this definition clearly published at a single place, under
> http://schema.org/duration - with expected range
> http://www.schema.org/Duration. (which BTW would lead to the side issue
> of having a property and its range just differing by one character case,
> not a good practice in my opinion).

+1 for excluding the class domains in the URIs of multiple classes
spanning properties, i.e., a name is a name is a name. A human user and
also a machine will get the relation (specific meaning) of name via its
context, i.e., the types of that resource, e.g., schemaorg:Person => a
person's name etc.

Cheers,

Bo

PS: otherwise we would probably end up with something the like the
Freebase vocabulary ;)