RE: First pass at use cases for "new standards" task force

Perhaps:

A couple of buddies are sitting in a bar and they come up with this nifty idea. They're glad to spend time on specifying how it will work, but what will their employers' (if any) say about their contributions, and how do they publish, and what can they do to encourage other participants to join in?

Alternative 1: Reinvent the wheel. Do your best and publish a specification on the web and hope it works out.

Alternative 2: Publish something at IETF. Hope it gets traction.

Alternative 3: Come to W3C for guidelines; adopt our low-impact processes; consult a staff eager to mentor; and ultimately earn the imprimatur, if you do it right, of the most open standards body in the world.

/Larry