Re: PROPOSAL UPDATED: Incorporate the Veres One Non-Profit Foundation

Hi Christopher,

Firstly, I appreciate you speaking up about this. Always going with what
seems like the flow won't make for a healthy community so it's important
for members to speak their minds even in the face of a bunch of +1's.

Also, apologies for making an assumption in the premise that Veres One
should be a nonprofit.

I did look into the option of incorporating as a Benefit Corp as well as
an L3C, months ago. The typical type of Benefit Corp is a shareholder
organization which did not seem like a good fit for Veres One. I
honestly did not know about Benefit LLCs (thank for the link
<https://worldpositive.com/a-startup-cheat-sheet-for-the-baffling-world-of-company-structures-3e8bfefd2178>,
this is something I am very interested in), which are only in three
states rather than the 30 states that support shareholder Benefit Corps.
I spoke with the organization that developed the L3C model but they are
only legal entities in three states, if I recall correctly, and it felt
sort of new and risky without much precedent.

A problem with both Benefit LLCs and L3Cs is that they are US corporate
designations. The United States is not generally viewed as a neutral
arbiter. There is also historical baggage associated with the US
regarding governance of technical infrastructure for the Internet (e.g.
ICANN). Maybe a Benefit LLC has it's merits but it's anchored to the US.
Maybe Canada will have it's own version of a Benefit LLC in Fall 2019.

I get the concern around the regulatory burden of being a nonprofit but
I don't understand the concern around transparency. What makes a
nonprofit inherently less transparent than a Benefit Corp? How would the
Veres One governance model as a Benefit Corp have more transparency than
as Nonprofit?

The additional costs to incorporate as a nonprofit compared an LLC are
expected to be around 5K and and extra 2k/year for operation of a low
revenue nonprofit. Digital Bazaar is covering these fees.

As far as changes to governance, enabling adaptability, isn't it always
an option for a non-profit to transition to a Benefit Corp, or some
other type of entity, at a later date?

The only negatives associated being a nonprofit that I can clearly
identity is the extra cost and regulatory restriction. Some of this
regulatory restriction can be viewed as a positive as it may help keep
Veres One focused on its mission. I can also see how the the nonprofit
designation could constrain adaptability.

Another factor is delaying incorporation further, a negative but
probably should not have much weight in the decision.

I want what will help Veres One deliver on it's mission and be
successful. If incorporating as a Benefit LLC is the best approach I
hope that is what we converge on. For me, the potential benefits of
incorporating as a Benefit Corp over a Nonprofit don't seem to outweigh
the negatives.

Kind Regards,

Adam

--